A few words

Kiveri is a picturesque on the sea village with a population of 995 inhabitants. The villagers are mainly occupied with fishing, farming and cattle-breeding, while recently the tourism sector has been also developed. Concerning the name of the village – Kiveri stems from the Greek word kivernisi meaning government – it is believed that the name was given to the region when governor Kapodistrias, for a short period of time, had his headquarters there.
So, there was the “kivernio” or Kyveri and finally Kiveri. The found remains of Mycenaean tombs evidence inhabitation of the region since ancient years. The inhabitation flow of the region through the centuries was a continuous one.  During the medieval years a very strong castle built by the Franks used to exist at the area; Franks were masters of the region until 1389. Then and until 1481 Venetians became the masters and finally Turks. In March 1824 Kiveri became the battle field of the raised civil disputes. The forces of the opposed governors of Kranidi and Nafplio fought against each other at the area.

At the beach of the village two characteristic buildings of the old times looking like towers have been preserved. The beach of Kiveri, being one of the best and bluest of the Argolidikos Bay, is the reason why people visit the village. A spring of clean and drinkable water is found at the south of the village called the “Anavalos” supplying with water many villages of the prefecture. The underground route of the water is such that drinkable water springs even from the sea at the area. Finally, at the nearby village Spiliotakis the ruins of ancient city Eleous and the temple of God Dimitra are found. Many of the historians believe that the city of Eleous used to be the stronghold for the guarding of the nearby ancient passing streets.

Two very important clubs have been established at Kiveri. The cultural club “Kiveri” organizes various cultural events, like concerts, art and books exhibitions, etc. The main target of the dancing club of Kiveri established in 1989 is to keep alive all the folklore dances of the area and the whole Greece as well learning these dances to young people and children. Another important target of the dancing club is also the good and careful caring of the required folklore costumes.

1389 – 1481 Kiveri is under the Venetian occupation
9 March, 1824, Kiveri becomes the battle field of the raised civil disputes
1989 the dancing club of Kiveri is established

The beach of Kiveri
The two old tower-houses found at the beach of the village
The ruins of Eleounta

The Anavalos spring supplying water the prefecture

facebook twitter
Copyright © 2024 Smart Solutions | All rights reserved | Designed and Hosted by Smart Solutions